As you know, we have been in discussions with the government since February. These talks will continue. We are now confident that the government has demonstrated a commitment to dealing with concrete items of importance to our members.
In light of the progress made during these discussions and a commitment that talks to address outstanding issues will continue, ETFO is suspending its advice to members regarding voluntary/extra-curricular activities.
Members should be aware that any agreement reached by ETFO will be subject to an all-member vote.
To remain on the List:
On another note, it's that time of year when there are several criteria to complete to ensure one remains on the list. They are:
- Pay College of Teachers' fee by April 15th. Those in an LTO assignment on January 1st will have their fees automatically deducted by payroll.
- Complete online Statement of Intent to Remain on the List/Canvass by April 30th >Employee Portal>HRS Applications.
- Complete Annual Offence Declaration on Employee Portal.
- Complete WHMIS Review.
- Complete mandatory online training by June 28th.*
- Notify TVDSB of any changes to name, address and/or telephone number.
PD Event at BMO Centre:
Registration is still open for the upcoming Evening of Professional Development at the BMO Centre, 295 Rectory St., (just south of York St.) in London on Thursday, April 11th, 2013 from 4:30 - 7:30 PM. Dinner is included and as well as on-site parking.
There are still spots available in the following sessions:
- MORE THAN A PLAY; created by Ontario educators to support critical thinking about social justice and equity. Each participant will receive a complimentary copy of the book, "More Than a Play"!
- TEACH NUTRITION: PRIMARY; in this much-requested workshop, participants will learn how to encourage healthful eating habits and skills in your students. Each participant will receive and learn to use a dynamic, cross-curricular and pedagogically sound resource toolkit provided by the Dairy Farmers of Ontario!
- BEYOND DODGEBALL: PHYS. ED. SURVIVAL FOR THE OCCASIONAL TEACHER; come prepared to participate in this hands-on workshop. Learn new ideas, games and skills to handle your physical educational assignments with ease! This workshop will be held on an indoor soccer pitch. (Please wear running shoes - no outdoor cleats please).
Also, those who missed notifying the Board of their interest in an LTO position for the next school year should notify John Cuddie or Sandi Douglas ASAP!
We have had a few questions from members regarding the JSPP (Jointly Sponsored Pension Plan) agreement reached between OTF and the Government of Ontario. This is an unprecedented type of framework and may seem a little confusing, but it is good news for members of the OTPP. Further details can be found in the OTF FEO Communique, Volume 18 No. 7 dated March 20, 2013. Or by visiting www.ottfeo.ca.
June 7th Althouse paid PD Day:
Registration for workshops being offered on June 7th at Althouse is now open on the Employee Portal. Members are encouraged to register early to avoid disappointment in their selections. Much thanks to Catherine Zeisner and her team at Staff Development for their hard work in putting together such a fine assortment of sessions for elementary Occasional Teachers.