All ETFO TVOT members need to be aware that members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) are in a legal strike position as of Monday, September 30th and have given notice of their work to rule campaign. For example, CUPE members will no longer cover duties due to unfilled absences, will not supervise students, will no longer volunteer etc., and custodians will no longer unlock classroom doors.
Your ETFO Thames Valley Occasional Teacher Local stands in solidarity with CUPE as they negotiate fair collective agreements through the process of free collective bargaining.
Advice to all ETFO TVTL and TVOTL Members:
- Teachers do not do the work of other bargaining units.
- Teachers will not take up the struck work of other bargaining units.
The September 19, 2019 ETFO Newsletter includes some wonderful opportunities for you to participate in. The following have been extremely beneficial to members:
Apply for Project Overseas 2020
Open to exchange professional knowledge with teachers overseas? Passionate about collaboration, cooperation and cultural competency? If you're an educator and ETFO member, then consider applying to Project Overseas 2020.
For more information, go to ETFOprojectoverseas.ca and apply by October 18, 2019.
Heart & Art blog
The following are some posts from the above mentioned blog for (beginning) teachers:
- Podcasts for Students
- Thriving in a New Teaching Assignment
- More Learning Skills Comments!
- Violence in Ontario Schools
- What is the Rand Formula and why it matters to teachers
- September 2019
Go through the full newsletter at <firstname.lastname@example.org>
OTs can participate in ETFO Provincial PD conferences etc. with costs paid by the provincial organization. Interesting conferences include:
- Protect Yourself 2019, November 20-21, Toronto. This Professional Relations Services conference for women aims to increase awareness and understanding in the area of education law in order to strengthen our professionalism. Register by October 2.
- eWomen Online Networking Program. ETFO invites 18 women members from designated groups to participate in a professional and academic learning opportunity. This online program will explore leadership, intersectionality, identity and anti-oppression. The program also includes two face-to-face sessions. Register by September 27.
- Engaging Learners Through Play Workshop, November 1, Toronto. ETFO invites 60 women members to register for a one-day First Nations, Metis and Inuit education professional learning opportunity. This interactive workshop will take members through the play-based activities from the ETFO FNMI education resource, Engaging Learners Through play. Register by September 27.
- Mobilizing for Justice: November 6-8, 2019 & June 2-3, 2020; Toronto. This program is an opportunity for women members to consider and make a plan for how they want to get more involves in their communities as allies and participants in social movements. Register by September 27.